Sunday, June 1, 2008

A commercial farce

"it's gotta be the shoe" can't apply in golf. It just can't. How much of a difference does the shoe make in a round of golf? I'm suggesting it has no affect at all. At the beginning of the season I noticed my feet hurting after wearing my golf shoes for a round of golf. Since then I have worn my running shoes without any incidents of sore feet. And I have no reason to believe my game has suffered even the slightest. Even early in the morning when the shoe retailer will tell you golf shoes are needed the most, I have not noticed any slipping or any other reason to pay $60 to $200 for golf shoes. Perhaps professionals or "scratch" golfers would notice a difference, but for someone at my level, golf shoes are a waste of money and comfort. What an amazing marketing campaign though. To have the majority of the amateur golfers in the world sold into thinking it is a necessary part of the game. Kudos for that.

On another topic, I have continued to improve my putting game. I am nearing my goal of a 2.0 putting average. In fact I have only one 3 putt in the last 2 rounds of golf. I believe I may have my first real break through in bettering my game and becoming a more consistent golfer. But I don't want to jump the gun, I am going to wait a few more rounds before posting my findings.

1 comment:

Aaron Clark said...

This doesn't bode well then for the prospects of my new Dri-Fit PGA Tour shirt having much effect either. Blast!