Monday, May 19, 2008

Just Not in the Cards


Golf took a backseat the last couple of weeks to make way for a rare vacation without the kids. Stephanie and I took a week off and went to Costa Rica. So of course, the weeks before were busy with preparations and long hours at the office. For a more detailed synopsis of the trip you will have to refer to Stephanie's blog (check for an update in a few days). I diligently tried to find a way to play golf while I was down there, but to no avail. There were a few obstacles, the most formative being the serious lack of golf courses in Costa Rica. I really shouldn't have been so surprised. Golf truly is a luxurious hobby and I was humbled at how much we have in the United States compared to less fortunate countries. A thought crossed my mind once or twice of how I could play golf when there is so much poverty and those without. But it didn't affect me so much as to give up the game and donate the money to a Costa Rican charity, just a thought of gratitude I suppose for how much we really have in this country. Maybe I'm not sensitive or mature enough to make a serious change, and right now I am OK with that.

The other formative challenge was that the few courses we would be passing by or near were just outright expensive. The only real option I had to play would have cost nearly $250 with club rentals, cart, a riders fee for Stephanie, and transportation to and from the course. I probably could have rationalized taking half of that from the golf budget and half from the vacation budget, but I just couldn't do it. We saw some lava and went surfing instead. But I am rested and ready for a great season. Tune in for more frequent entries as I hope to play a little more in the coming weeks.

No comments: