Saturday, February 21, 2009

A 7-wood for all seasons

Stephanie and I are currently in Scottsdale, AZ on a mini-vacation. No kids, no work, no snow. This was part of a Christmas present from me to her, so she has the charge of choosing all activities. In fact, my even being here with her was only at her invitation. But, true to her character, she is always thinking of someone else and has insisted that I be allowed to golf 9 holes while in Arizona. At first I resisted telling her it was her vacation, but she wouldn't have any of it. So, reluctantly, I played.

Before I played however, I had to use the remaining budget money from 2008. I enjoyed using a borrowed 7-wood so much over the Christmas holidays, I had to at least take a look for one of my own. After finding a used Callaway Big Bertha at a Scottsdale Golfsmith for almost exactly what I had left over from last year in my budget, I couldn't resist. And with Stephanie's approval, I asked the salesman to recommend a decent place to play 9 holes. For a cool $39 I was able play 9 holes at a nearby course called Scottsdale Silverado that had wide open fairways and the greenest grass I have seen since October. A perfect testing ground for my new 7-wood. The first tee provided a HUGE fairway with acres of room to the right. No pressure. Out comes the 7-wood to deliver a picture perfect drive right down the middle. 220 yards. Second tee, not such a big fairway, but again a flawless drive. 220 yards. After the round was over I had hit 5 of 6 fairways with my newest favorite club, consistently around 220-230 yards! To be sure my game was not just uncharacteristically on, my irons were terrible and I hit a 49 for the day. Maybe I should look into a 9-wood.

No comments: