Saturday, May 30, 2009

A few weeks at the range and two rounds later

After the realization that my golf swing was pathetically ugly, I made the determination to get comfortable with the "correct" grip, posture and back swing. The first week I spent 3 days at the range (two days during lunch and one after work). It took the whole week to get comfortable with my new grip. the first two days were terrible and I was glad no one I knew was watching. The third day seemed to show a little improvement.

The next week, I spent 2 days at the range and ended the week with an early 9 holes. I really worked on my posture and although it is difficult to really tell if my posture was improving without a camera, I did start to see some improvement and began to get excited for the 9 holes on Friday. My instructor at Golftec told me my handicap would slip while I became comfortable with my new swing, but I thought a few trips to the range would cure that. Well, after an embarrassing and ugly 55 on Friday morning, I believe him.

It was back to the range this last week, only once this time on Thursday and I probably had 8 errant shots out of the entire bucket of 80 balls! I was feeling good... comfortable with my grip, posture and had a routine down. I hadn't planned on playing 9 holes this week, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to apply my new founded confidence. After being rejected by my regular playing pals, I made a rare trip alone, excited for what would no doubt be my best 9 hole round ever. I was paired up with 3 old men, and I mean OLD! One guy could hardly walk. Each teed off in front of me on the first hole and each one poked it out into the fairway 200 to 250 yards out! Even the guy who took 5 minutes to get from the cart to the tee box! My first shot.... dribbled it about 20 yards. Bummer. It took 2 holes (and 14 strokes) to regain my composure before putting together four par puts (all misses) sandwiched by another snowman. All in all? A 52. The gentlemen I played with? Well, the guy who can't walk shot a "measly 43". Back to the range.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just recently started playing golf, and I've found a lot of interest in your blogs. I loved the idea of setting goals, and I especially love the idea of a maximum spending amount per year (seeing as how expensive the sport is). I was curious about a couple of things. How do you come about finding your handicap (ie: is it an average of your five, ten, twenty best rounds... do you play in a league and they decide)? Also, I was curious if you include greens fees and range tokens, etc. in your spending? I know I've been paying close attention to how much I spend each weekend going to the local course, and I can't seem to get away without spending a cool $50 each weekend at least... Any suggestions, and do you allot the $600 separately for things like new equipment or lessons only (not counting green fees, etc.)?

Thanks,
Cecil Yeatts