Saturday, May 2, 2009

Don't mark me lucky

After a long March and early April full of spring snow storms, the grass finally became green enough to get in 9 holes. Now, in December I had purchased a box of used Callaway Warbird golf balls and as you can read in one of my previous posts have been very good to me. In fact, I had managed to play with two of these warbird golf balls for 36 strait holes (3 separate golf outings) without losing a ball. The beginning of this uncharacteristic streak coincided with the purchase of my new 7-wood. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty good on this beautiful Colorado afternoon. So, in my fit of confidence, I felt the need to brag to Chris, my coworker and frequent playing partner, about this feat and even have the audacity to mark them "Warbird I" and "Warbird II" thinking perhaps they would continue their streak and retire as golf ball heroes.

Tee #1 - A simple par 4 with a row of homes just beyond a thin area of rough on the left and wide open on the right, including another fairway. Out comes the 7-wood and Warbird II gets teed up. A few warm-up swings just to make sure, and there it goes..... a stinger to the left at a 45 degree angle and forever lost in someone's backyard. Rats. I should have just turned around and gone home. I call a first hole mulligan and tee up Warbird I, sure that it wouldn't happen twice, not after the consistent success I had experienced with this club/ball combination since December. There is goes, not quite a steep left degree as the first and luckily lands just short of a homes backyard fence and playable. But, two holes later, Warbird I would also be donated to the course. Not coincidentally, that is where I stopped keeping score and chalked this one up as a "spring warmup." Today I signed up for Golftec lessons. Stay tuned, I think I have one or two warbirds left in my bag.

No comments: