Sunday, April 6, 2008

Daly Exercise?

No I didn't forget the "i". I am not entirely convinced physical fitness is a requirement for a good golf game. If my goal were to improve in any other sport, my first item of business would be to improve my physical fitness. I am not so sure with golf. Take John Daly for example, although wildly inconsistent, he is still a professional golfer...and look at him! John Kruk and Cecil Fielder aside, could this happen in any other sport? Most golf books, including How I Play Golf by Tiger Woods suggests flexibility and physical fitness are important aspects of the game. But what about the Senior PGA? I mean, come on.. these guys are well into retirement and are playing at a level I can only dream of achieving. But maybe these guys are just freaks of nature, or a more politically correct term would be "naturals". I can buy the notion that the golf swing is an athletic motion and the seniors have kept themselves physically fit and flexible. So then maybe John Daly has just been blessed with an uncanny ability to avoid his belly when swinging. How he manages to walk 18 holes without requiring CPR is beyond me. Considering his extremely unhealthy habits off the course, I am inclined to lean toward the freak of nature theory for him. Tiger on the other hand has got it figured out. It is obvious he has natural ability. But so do the other professional golfers. He has taken his game to another level and he claims the building blocks of improvement is physical fitness. Him I will believe. Working out is generally good practice anyway and at the very worst, couldn't hurt my game. Just like my golf game, I am very inconsistent in working out as well. So I'll start with improving the consistency of my workouts. I found a pretty good site that explains how physical fitness can improve a golf swing. I haven't followed the workouts at this site, I believe a simple program that involves a mix of cardio and core/balance strength training is good enough. If anyone really cares, let me know and I'll send you my workout plan.

No comments: