Friday, April 4, 2008

Putting for Eagle

I have been a casual golfer for about 7 years. The game has put me through some serious ups and downs (more downs really). I take issue with how much it costs to play an entire round, both in time and money. At the end of each season the frustrations of my inconsistent game lead me to vow to either cut back or not play at all in the future. "What a waste of time and money" I say. But every spring I am inevitably drawn back. It could be a number of things that bring me back; friends, being outdoors, or the renewed prospect of playing a little better than last year. My guess is its probably a combination. This year though, my goal is to stop the cycle of frustration. Spending more time or money on the game doesn't make very much sense to me and to be honest there are a lot more important things than golf. But I believe, and which I hope to chronicle in this blog, is that a regular hack like myself can improve to become a respectable golfer if not good, on a modest budget and with minimal time away from the family or other commitments. My goal is to become 5 handicap golfer on $600/year. For those of you that have played with me before, I will give you a few minutes to stop laughing........
..............................................................
Now that everyone is back with us, I can get down to the nitty gritty. I don't expect this to happen over night. In fact I don't even expect to come close to this for at least 5 years. The $600 will cover all greens fees, equipment, range balls, cart fees, etc., etc. I will play mostly early morning rounds of 9 holes to minimize perceived time at the course. My plan is simple, focus on one aspect of my game at a time, searching for the most inexpensive and effective way to improve, really so I can have more fun on the course. I hope this blog can become a forum for suggestions, keeping in touch, and maybe, just maybe, can provide a little encouragement to other hackers out there who just want to have fun, get better at the game and still have money for lunch.

3 comments:

Aaron Clark said...

Nice idea for a blog John. I wonder -- have you considered may $100 or so for a group lesson?

I've only played a few times since you moved, but will be happy to pick it up again when the company is right.

John said...

Thanks, Aaron. I know i am going to need some kind of professional instruction, I just don't know yet in what format. Did you find your group lessons you took in Irvine to be benficial and worth the money?

Aaron Clark said...

The group lessons were worth the money (though they were actually a gift). I think they were a little over $100 and came with some package of golf outings and buckets of balls (which I never used). They would've been even more beneficial if I'd played regularly after the lessons.

I think that group lessons would be highly beneficial. These last lessons I took were helpful because the instructor took a few moments to look at my swing on a few different occasions, noticed my slice, and then gave me drills to correct the problems creating the slice. This way, when I went about to practice/play in the future, I knew how to practice to correct problems in my swing.