Sunday, April 20, 2008

First Things First

Now that the weather is encouraging and the grass green at the local courses, I have to ask myself, what first? There are so many aspects of the game I need to improve upon, and I know I can't do it all at once. Tiger Woods suggests improving from the green backwards and I have seen some statistics showing that more than half of golf strokes in a round are using the putter. I realize that eventually I am going to need some lessons to correct flaws in my swing. But that will have to wait for now, I am going to focus on my putting. After a little research I have broken putting down to four very basic skills:

1. See the line
2. See the distance
3. Hit the line
4. Hit the distance

Sounds easy doesn't it? But you all know how frustrating a 3 putt can be. So to begin the season (which I hope will be this week) I will research some drills to improve each of these skills for the goal of significantly decreasing the number of 3 putts. I am also toying with the idea of a new putter... not sure if its worth the money yet.

1 comment:

Aaron Clark said...

3 putts aren't nearly as frustrating as 4 or 5 putts.